• Rīga
  • Jelgava

Opening times

Mo closed
Tu 10:00 - 13:30
We 10:00 - 17:00
Th 10:00 - 20:00
Fr 10:00 - 17:00
Sa 10:00 - 17:00
Su closed

 

Admission fee 

Students
€1.00
Adults
€2.50
Guided tour LV (10-30 people)
€7.50
Guided tour ENG, RU (10-30 people)
€15.00
Children, Member of ICOM, persons with disabilities
Free
 
 

How to get here

Uzvaras bulv. 2A, Pārdaugava

The Museum is only a few minutes' walk from Vecrīga

Public transport stop:  Nacionālā bibliotēka

 

Opening times

Mo closed
Tu closed
We 11:00 - 19:00
Th 10:00 - 17:00
Fr 10:00 - 17:00
Su 10:00 - 17:00
Sa closed

 

Admission fee

Students €0.80
Adults €1.50
Guided tour LV (10-30 people) €5.00
Guided tour ENG, RU (10-30 people) €15.00
Children, Member of ICOM, persons with disabilities
Free

How to get here

Stacijas iela 3, Jelgava

The museum is located next to the Jelgava station square

History facts

On 28 May 1928 the Railway Central Board received its order of the three TK series lokomotives from Germany; this markes the first step of the project drafted by Rollig Stock Division to modernise the lokomotives. By 1940 a total of 73 locomotives had been either purchased by the Railway Board or built in the main workshops of the State Railways.
The opening of the Rīga - Daugavpils (Dunaburg) railway line in the territory of Latvia on 12 September 1861 was the catalyst for a number of changes in the local social scene.
Railway tourism become popular in the 1930s. Tour routes included Latvia's most scenic areas. In summer, sightseeing was combined with cultural events in the cuntryside, in winter - with skiing. The merriment alredy began in the dance car. Hence the popular name for these torist trains - travelling dances.
The Latvian railway network had five different track gauges: K or 1524 mm, N or 1435 mm, 1000 mm, P or 750 mm, L or 600 mm.